.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Friday, August 13, 2004

To The Cinema By Myself...

Until this week, I have never been to the cinema alone. Sad thing to do I always reasoned, after all, the cinema and films are a social thing, something you do with friends. I could not understand how some of my mates managed to go and see films on their own without feeling awkward.

This has changed...slightly. :S

Recently, I purchased an "Unlimited Card", which is a subscription service for the cinema I use. £10/month for unlimited viewings. I've had it for 2 weeks, and have seen 4 films so far, IIRC.

Now as I am a bum, and have lots of free time, thankfully free as I wouldn't be able to afford it if it cost me anything, I could spend my time at the cinema. However, lots of my friends don't have the card, and couldn't afford to go often. Besides, many of my mates have jobs, some people do apparently, and can't get the time to see some stuff. But I want to see things! Lots of things!

The last problem is my taste. I like many films, not a huge fan of serious realistic films, often described as "gritty", but I like the rest. This particularly includes "kids" films. Now last time I looked the age certificate for a film was a lower bound, not an upper.... Why does everyone grow out of good stuff? Mad people.

So I bit the bullet and went to see Garfield The Movie on Wednesday, and Home On The Range this afternoon (Thursday).

So I sat in my usual seat, on my own, looking like a pillock, but that's normal, amongst a cacophony of parents and little kids (the schools are all on holiday), and... enjoyed the show.

It was a bit awkward, but I wouldn't have got to see them if I didn't go by myself. So unless I get friends that actually share any of my interests anytime soon this might become a regular feature. Tons of films to see this month after all!

4 Comments:

  • Granted, cinema is not a huge social thing, at least not while it is on. It's the going together, and then, afterwards, being able to discuss it on the way home. Shared experiences.

    I am going on my own yet again this evening, probably to see Stepford Wives, my friends are too manly to go, apparently. 4th day on the trot, getting my monies worth!

    I wonder why people always use the cinema for dates, as it is obviously not a huge social thing. Good way of assessing a partners interests though. Peoples' reactions to films can tell you a lot about them. Maybe it's just the lure of a darkened room that makes it popular for dating....

    I wouldn't know. :S

    By Blogger Orbling, at Saturday, August 14, 2004 4:43:00 pm  

  • I think the nearest I'll ever get to having a hot lady next to me in a dark room, is if I'm developing a photo of such a woman..... :S

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, August 27, 2004 1:36:00 am  

  • LOL, good point. Guess dark rooms and women will remain something that happens to other people. Rather like waking up early, and earning money.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:38:00 pm  

  • Only a little. ;)

    The notion that it is my choice is half correct; in that I only have half the decision.

    I can choose to pursue the dark room path, but you'll find that a lady has to also choose the same route. My roads are travelled by so few that these events become unlikely at best.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, September 02, 2004 11:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home