.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Monday, August 30, 2004

Hmm... A Guide to New Barnet

Whilst trying to research the history of a local disused fire station that may soon be demolished to make way for more housing, Grrrrr...

I came across the following...

Guide to New Barnet

What a lovely idea for a small area, make a little site with links to every other site on the net that originates from the town. All the homepages that could be found, along with basic history. Web sites for all the local businesses/organisations that could be found, etc...

I am so tempted to add to this, in particular they have a little minimap of my area, with hotspots to click on with photos of each location. Although it's a bit sparse. I might fire up my new camera and take hundreds of photos of the area and make a more detailed photo map.

Much respect to Steve Oughton for this site.

NB. There is a picture of part of the fire station on the home page for this site, the only one I could find. 5th picture along from the left in the strip image below. Intriguingly, the first picture is of my local, The Railway Bell.


4 Comments:

  • This is the trouble with the world today, so keen on replacing and junking the old, with ugly new stuff...

    It's part of the history and character of the town, it used to be a nice town with buildings of character, they fitted together. It looked smart, detailed, as if the people their cared about it.

    That was back in the days of society, when people actually gave a damn about things.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:26:00 pm  

  • The building only has superficial damage, ie. a few windows have been broken by little brats. But other than that, it is highly stable.

    The nice thing about old buildings is they were built to last, usually. This one is no exception - if kept well it could easily survive another century with ease.

    But no, they want to destroy it.

    Why?

    Money, ofcourse. Simple maths, 1 slightly large house, maybe £500k. Block of 38 sheltered accomodation houses, at about £150k each.... Lots...

    By Blogger Orbling, at Wednesday, September 01, 2004 6:42:00 pm  

  • Personally, I can't tolerate a world in which the $ is King. People will probably realise too late that their is far far more to life and the world than how much money you can make.

    It's an awful state of affairs when you can say with some justification that history, ethics, et al are out of the window....

    It's not my world, and I don't want to be a part of that.

    I can only hope it improves.... :S

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, September 02, 2004 12:19:00 am  

  • LOL, well your faith in me is heart-warming, and worrying ;)

    I think I would be a tyrant if I had any power, my tolerance for bad behaviour isn't overly high.

    As for the name Karl, it's common, so there are bound to be great people with it as a name. I'm named after Karl Marx, so I have a lot to live up to. ;)

    Although, in a number of european countries, Poland, Czech Rep., Hungary - their word for "emperor" is derived from the personal name Karl, not the other way round. AFAIK

    I don't deserve power, and it shouldn't be necessary to wield it. People should behave because they want to, trouble is, no one seems to want to. :(

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, September 10, 2004 6:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home