.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Who I want to be when I grow up...

When I was very young, not much younger actually, still applies today - from a long time ago, I like most people had idols, people I wanted to grow up to be like.

However, not being an entirely standard person, my idols were likewise unusual.

Yoda
Yoda
Ludo
Ludo
Wisest of the Mystics
Wisest of the Mystics
Snuffleupagus
Snuffleupagus
Beaker
Beaker
Treebeard
Treebeard
Junior Gorg
Junior Gorg

Yes, I appreciate I was odd.

Over the years, I think I've become most like Junior Gorg, physically there is little to seperate us - though he is far cuter, but the general disposition is much the same as me - my likeness in felt. :)

I'd like to think I retained some of Ludo's playfulness and friendliness, at least in that I still approach these areas much as a child would. From the Mystics and Yoda I have inherited the knack of talking in riddles, usually I either manage to confuse people or bore them to death. From Beaker I received his fear, and nervousness, qualities I quite like in others but am not much keen on in myself - but Beaker was always special.

From Treebeard, the most important things, slowness - "anything worth saying, is worth taking a long time over", knowing what side I'm on, and above all a love of trees.

Yes, it's good to have something to grow up to be - once I have done so, I'll let you know if I'm worth taking any time over.

11 Comments:

  • An excellent choice of role models!
    Strikes me that to emulate many of them you will need to grow a lot of hair.

    By Blogger Stormfilled, at Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:49:00 pm  

  • Actually, I'd probably need a bit of a trim! ;)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Wednesday, September 15, 2004 8:26:00 pm  

  • Young & energetic? ROFL - you know me better than that! ;)

    Skywalker was a nice boy, but always used his body more than his mind - definitely not my style.

    Gorg is more like me, inquisitive, tends to get in to difficulties, daydreams too much...

    Plus, I want[ed] to be someone I would respect - those that live nearer to my code of conduct.

    Not that many human examples ever sprung to mind.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, September 17, 2004 12:51:00 am  

  • Well he isn't the most respectable character, depends how you look at him, he doesn't mean any harm - he is just a simple child.

    I'll show you some Fraggles someday, I have loads of it on video. You can see when you come back.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, September 17, 2004 1:43:00 am  

  • In agreement with Dhruv on the Gorg issue - they were the BADDIES! Ok it was actually their garden and the Fraggles were really theives, but hey.

    Always rather identified with Mokey actually. Surely a Fraggle would be a nicer thing to be? They even respected the compost heap.

    By Blogger Stormfilled, at Friday, September 17, 2004 9:23:00 am  

  • Well yes, the fraggles are "nicer" people, with full respect for the land and others. But Junior is more like me in terms of his general character - which is not a bad character, he doesn't mean any harm, he is just curious about all things - and a touch bored.

    If I had to identify with any of the fraggles, I'd probably pick Mokey as well, yes I know she's a girl, the others were a bit too lively for me. ;)

    Maybe Gobo perhaps.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, September 17, 2004 3:34:00 pm  

  • Well you maybe grown up, by am clinging desperately to youth, LOL - who on earth wants to be an adult??

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, September 17, 2004 4:37:00 pm  

  • Well that's a matter of opinion, I'll still try to keep myself away from adulthood as much as possible. :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Tuesday, September 21, 2004 2:12:00 pm  

  • i hate being an adult..
    i wanted to be a fairy tale princess haha
    =P
    cheers

    By Blogger Desolation, at Monday, September 27, 2004 3:33:00 am  

  • Wanted to?

    Why give up on the dream? When all your dreams have died, so have you.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, September 27, 2004 4:17:00 pm  

  • Childhood is a state of mind, and that does not need to age so visibly...

    When did you get people messing with you? Sounds pleasent. ;)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, September 27, 2004 7:07:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home