.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Oh dear, spent too much money again....

Hmm, it appears that I have spent far far too much money this week. For someone who is terminally unemployed this is not a hard state to get in, and indeed I manage it most weeks. But this week I really blew out, darn.

Firstly spent about a month's food budget in the health food stores on Monday. (What? Don't look at me like that. :( They do sell edible stuff too, yes really.) Fry's Vegetarian range is very useful for the busy vegan with no time to cook (and the vegan with 100% free time who happens to like fake meaty things and is bone idle).

[force feeding pro-veggie information]
-- copied from Fry's without permission.

Don't eat meat! Why???

Did you know every year 45 billion animals are killed worldwide for human consumption! In Germany alone 332 million roasting chickens, 24 million soup chickens, 10 million pigs, 20 million turkeys, 14 million ducks, 4 million cows, 1 million geese, 1 million sheep and 7500 horses are slaughtered.

[/force feeding pro-veggie information]


Anyhow, at the weekend I was browsing through eBay and saw some lovely bunnies.

Bunnies

They were Winnie the Pooh stuff, and only a fiver include p&p, but I missed the auction by 30 seconds. Luckily there were no bids and I talked to the seller and got them sent to me. Yay. :)

Unfortunately I also saw on eBay that Santa Claus The Movie was released on DVD, I had to have that, so ordered it from Play.

Whilst there, I noticed Red Dwarf Season 5 was out, thought wait till Christmas. Then saw a Limited Edition set with a Starbug model in it. Ordered that. :$

Starbug Corgi Model

Additionally, I decided that I had better buy the new Joanna Newsom album, and as I wanted to qualify for free delivery at amazon decided to get that 'Coope, Boyes and Simpson' album I have been after for months as well, and a Spinners album to pad it out.


Days later, well 2, I was in a book shop waiting for my mum to leave a clothing shop designed exclusively for the older women in society and saw an amazing book.

Goblins!

But I had already spend a fortune and couldn't justify spending the cash (I see Amazon has it 40% off, FFS). So I walked on by, with a little effort. Then my mum turned up and was looking at gardening books. I saw another book.

A Tree In Your Pocket

[It's about the myths and legends surrounding all the different types of native trees in Britain, very interesting.]

This was only a fiver so I decided to buy it. But that would require my card. So my personal logic device in my head decided that as I was buying something I couldn't afford, I might aswell buy the other thing I couldn't afford aswell. Arse.

I now have lots of stuff, and more debt, my vegan society membership also finally came through for the year with a couple of books I ordered. So all in all a ruddy expensive week.

Oh and I put £3 in the Poppy Appeal box, I'm very generous with my bank's money.

Evil money. I'm normally better than this honest. Role on Christmas. :$

12 Comments:

  • BUDDY
    hold that card!!!
    u need to cut down on ur spending...
    really if u r not rich, u simply do not need to own everything.. go to the library? or make ur own soft toy
    what is the big deal about vegetarian food.. u can buy them anywhere? just buy veggie, dun buy meat..
    seriously.. dun be a slave to this consumer society.
    ops.. too naggy
    how come ur posts only show up like weeks later..
    hmmm

    By Blogger Desolation, at Sunday, November 14, 2004 8:39:00 am  

  • You're quite right overall, should cut down on spending, especially for complete inessentials.

    I don't think I'm a slave to the consumer society at all, I make the choice to get stuff that I want and spend so much less than anyone else I know. We aren't forced, so aren't slaves.

    As for the food, man can not live of pure veggies alone, unless you include pulses, which I do, and have regularly, but I don't want bean/nut meals everyday. I buy some pre-cooked stuff, the same as most meateaters do. For convenience, and because they can be tasty. My decision to stop eating animal products was definitely not based on taste, and I don't intend to give up the tastes if I don't have to, LOL

    Not quite sure why posts appear later than they are posted. Probably a matter of caching for people, I always expliticitly refresh blog pages from everyone when viewing. I only posted this a day or so a go anyhow, so not too worry. :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Sunday, November 14, 2004 3:51:00 pm  

  • eBay is a VERY dangerous place!

    By Blogger Spitting, at Sunday, November 14, 2004 7:01:00 pm  

  • but u feel compelled to buy those stuff...
    these stuff aren't necessary in a way.
    there must be some invisible hand guiding you to buy them.
    I believe we buy stuff to consume meanings.
    perhaps you just want to be reminded of ur childhood etc.
    I think it is fine as long as u like them. Just that if u think u r over spending.just try to cut down lah

    yah... i had this health food thingy and it taste like.. hmm bean sprout.
    Taste is important.=P
    but convinient health food?
    hmm..don;t they have to put in some preservatives or sth to make that happen... is it still considered healthy then?

    By Blogger Desolation, at Sunday, November 14, 2004 11:59:00 pm  

  • Yes, eBay is exceptionally dangerous, LOL - I think my rating is over 60 and I only ever buy stuff. D'oh...

    As for buying stuff to remember my childhood, yes in part. Some things I buy for sentimental reasons, but in general I never grew out of the stuff I liked in childhood, so it's still stuff I want today.

    I think the 'health food shop' label was a bit misleading. I buy from these shops as they stock a lot of vegan food that I can eat, not because I want healthy food. These places may be called health food shops because they stock a load of healthy things, including many vitamins etc. - but they are would be better labelled 'alternative food shops'. Actually one I use a lot is called 'Alternatives'.

    Health is not something I pay a huge attention to.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, November 15, 2004 2:36:00 pm  

  • LOL, I'm sure there is a note of disapproval there...

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, November 18, 2004 1:37:00 pm  

  • I'm sure you've heard this one before but...

    WEIRD AL YANKOVIC LYRICS

    "eBay"

    Yeah
    A used ... pink bathrobe
    A rare ... mint snowglobe
    A Smurf ... TV tray
    I bought on eBay

    My house ... is filled with this crap
    Shows up in bubble wrap
    Most every day
    What I bought on eBay

    Tell me why (I need another pet rock)
    Tell me why (I got that Alf alarm clock)
    Tell me why (I bid on Shatner's old toupee)
    They had it on eBay

    I'll buy ... your knick-knack
    Just check ... my feedback
    "A++!" they all say
    They love me on eBay

    Gonna buy (a slightly-damaged golf bag)
    Gonna buy (some Beanie Babies, new with tag)
    (From some guy) I've never met in Norway
    Found him on eBay

    I am the type who is liable to snipe you
    With two seconds left to go, whoa
    Got Paypal or Visa, what erev'll please
    As long as I've got the dough

    I'll buy ... your tchotchkes
    Sell me ... your watch, please
    I'll buy (I'll buy, I'll buy, I'll buy ...)
    I'm highest bidder now

    (Junk keeps arriving in the mail)
    (From that worldwide garage sale) (Dukes Of Hazard ashtray)
    (Hey! A Dukes Of Hazard ashtray)
    Oh yeah ... (I bought it on eBay)

    Wanna buy (a PacMan Fever lunchbox)
    Wanna buy (a case on vintage tube socks)
    Wanna buy (a Kleenex used by Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre)
    (Found it on eBay)

    Wanna buy (that Farrah Fawcet poster)
    (Pez dispensers and a toaster)
    (Don't know why ... the kind of stuff you'd throw away)
    (I'll buy on eBay)

    What I bought on eBay-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y

    By Blogger Spitting, at Thursday, November 18, 2004 3:35:00 pm  

  • LOL, yeah - love Weird Al.

    "My house ... is filled with this crap
    Shows up in bubble wrap
    Most every day
    What I bought on eBay"

    Now this is utterly true in eBay, minus the 'crap' bit ofcourse. ;)

    Argh, I have purchased Smurf, Alf and Pez dispenser stuff on eBay! Think this song saw me coming. :$

    I was discussing the addictiveness of eBay with a friend of mine and her mum. Her mum is heavily eBay addicted by the look of it, mind you she managed to impress me by saying "unfortunately I managed to spend all my profits [she sells too] on new stuff". To which I replied obviously "Wow! Just your profits??"

    "Yeah, I thought that was good too." She says. ;)

    Good'ole eBay, ridding me of money since 2002. (When I joined)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, November 18, 2004 3:56:00 pm  

  • You are lucky you don't drink. Whatever you do never ever ever EVER go on eBay after having drink.

    By Blogger Spitting, at Thursday, November 18, 2004 5:40:00 pm  

  • I always consider myself sensible rather than lucky I don't drink, LOL

    But yes, I can imagine needing to declare bankruptcy if I went on eBay whilst mentally unfit to make rational decisions. Hell, I'm bad enough when I'm lucid. :$

    You sound like you speak from experience on that one. ;)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, November 19, 2004 1:12:00 am  

  • drunkards can still click on their mouse?
    ryn: smelly beancurd are spoilt(they are left in the open for too long etc) beancurd, fried in oil.
    very tasty
    they have it in hk and taiwan
    should visit asia some day
    we have fabulous food here

    By Blogger Desolation, at Friday, November 19, 2004 1:28:00 am  

  • In these days, it takes so little effort to buy things over the net, that drunkards can buy almost as much stuff as the more vertically upstanding among us. ;)

    As for the bean curd, I can see why it would be smelly if it had gone off, it only lasts a day or so once cooked if left out. You don't need to tell me that HK has some decent food, I cook that sort of stuff regularly, plus have plenty of mates from that region to corrupt my tastebuds. :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, November 19, 2004 1:33:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home