.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

At Home In The Woods...

On Monday, I made my regular visit to my local woods. (Hadley Woods, Barnet EN5)

I honestly don't think there is anywhere I'd rather be, the New Forest possibly, but these woods are the ones I grew up in, I'm at home there.

The autumn colour seems to be coming late, as it was not particularly in evidence this year, other than for the bright red trees which are positively scarlet this year.

Even so, it was amazingly beautiful as usual. Plus, this time I had my new camera!! Think I went over the top and took over 150 pictures, next time I'll take a lot less and spend more time relaxing. I'm loathed to take tech into the woods, but had to record some things at least once. But I was squinting by the end of the trip, October has very poor light IMO, the sun sits far too low in the sky here - blinds me.

Oh well, here are a few small pictures of things I saw. Apologies for quality, reduced them by 80% to save on storage space.

A Woodland Road
A Woodland Road, many a day I would play on the banks of this road in my youth.


Bridge Lost In The Woods
Bridge Lost In The Woods, this is how railways should be, fully wooded all around, bridges being smothered.


Forked Hornbeam
Forked Hornbeam, growing in it's usual beautifully forked and horizontal fashion. Love those trees, managed to obtain a load of seeds from another tree. Going to try and grow me some, got 10 planted. :D


Ferns under the Canopy
Ferns Under The Canopy, now who says nothing beautiful grows under the branches??? This lot is on the railway side, deep in the woods.


Wild Oak
The Wild Oak, taken from inside the tree, under the canopy. This is why oaks make by far the best trees for climbing in and under, so many possibilities.


Oaken Porthole
Oaken Porthole, now would you look at this, same tree as before and it has a great hole broader than my arm grown in it. Amazing.


Ancient Mossy Stump
An Ancient Mossy Stump, this one has been there a fair while, it's quite intensely beautiful, sitting on it's own in the midst of a clearing surrounded by lovely beeches (the trees, not sandy wotsits).


Would publish more, but don't want to host too much stuff.

8 Comments:

  • Oooh lovely! Woods are my favourite places, particularly if they have a river running though them.

    That's a wonderful oak tree, perfect climbing tree. If you ever get the chance, make your way to Hatfield House and stroll around - some of the oaks there are truley fantastic, almost Bosch-esque grotesque some of them. They've been split by lightening, rotted out in the middle, toppled by gales and still they grow. You can climb the insides of several (only if you're a fan of large spiders and mice) and they're more like castles than trees.

    By Blogger Stormfilled, at Thursday, October 21, 2004 10:40:00 am  

  • JC: Yeah did see it, so beautiful those trees, quite massive. If you watched the Kew programme on Friday the tree guy climbed Kew's largest tree (chestnut-leaved oak IIRC) which was about 130ft high!

    Dhruv: Yes, most of this country is beautiful, or at least was - they keep building new cack on it. :S

    Woods are always beautiful though, though I prefer them to be unmanaged.

    Stormfilled: Yep, no better place than woods, I'd live and die entirely within them if I could. Definitely got to get myself planted under some tree when I go, I can become a nice fellwood. (tree spirit) [There's a possibility I read LotR too much as a kid, and may have inadvertently started to believe in Ents.]

    I've been to Hatfield House many a time, as it's only a few stops up the railway on my line, always used to go to the craft fair there every year. It's exceptionally beautiful there, mind you most old grounds like that are! :) Yay preservationism. No problem with mice nor spiders, just keep gastropods away from me at all costs.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Sunday, October 24, 2004 2:02:00 am  

  • Aha! Living Crafts - wonderful. I've been every year since the age of four and still adore it, though we don't have a stall any more.

    Don't know how long ago it was that you went, but we used to have a stall selling wooden toys, mobiles, and stunning little oak horses that Mum used to carve out of an old bedhead. If you ever saw a rather bossy looking, skinny girl with dark frizzy hair leading a team of stall holders' children in swapping sessions of our parent's wares in the woods, that was me. Also frequently seen in the stables, the swing boats or if it was many years ago, out riding the Great Dane that was owned by a woman who made silk clothes.

    By Blogger Stormfilled, at Sunday, October 24, 2004 9:27:00 am  

  • LOL, I'm sure I probably saw you a number of times, always liked those sort of stools. :)

    But I would've been younger, I'm the same age as you and it has been a few years since I last went. I got my first ocarina at that fair, fond memories. (They played them in Dark Crystal so I had to have one!)

    I should start going again.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Sunday, October 24, 2004 2:33:00 pm  

  • Nice photos. I love getting a glimpse of other people's little patches of London.

    By Blogger Spitting, at Wednesday, November 03, 2004 2:54:00 am  

  • Definitely, London has a lot of beauty which people just don't get to see most of the time. Especially with regard to the natural world, people think city and see concrete and towers. There are around 8 million trees in the capital, we are a green nation. :D

    By Blogger Orbling, at Wednesday, November 03, 2004 2:58:00 am  

  • Yeah it's wonderfully beautiful. They were talking about turning it into a car park a couple of years ago (they being the b*****d government) for some super train station or something.

    I think my pacifist stance would've been removed if that tried to happen.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, November 11, 2004 12:45:00 am  


  • India's finest decorative arts for luxury home furniture and interiors. Our collection is custom created for you by our experts. we have a tendency to bring the world's best to our doorstep. welfurn is self storage unitsleading Interior design company that gives exquisite styles excellence in producing and Quality standards. will give door-step delivery and can complete the installation at your home.

    By Blogger anjalimehtus, at Monday, March 06, 2017 6:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home