.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Truth, Beauty, Freedom, but above all Love...

Love is a many splendored thing.

Watched 'Moulin Rouge!' last night. What a fantastic film!

Moulin Rouge!

Essentially a treatise on the true value of love. How absolutely critical it is to who we are, what we are, why it is everything.

Amongst the many songs they extracted lines from throughout the film, the two most important seemed to me to be the following:

"All you need is love." - Once you've truly understood this line, you're halfway there.

"Love lifts us up where we belong." - Beautiful and profound, 'where we belong' - we are supposed to soar, bellowed in to the sky by the winds of love, not stuck glumly to the cold floor of loneliness.

To all those that fall within the sound of these words I commend you to never stop seeking love, and if you find it, treasure it, for it is as vital as the air you breathe, the water that quenches your thirst, the fire that warms you, and the earth that supports you.

If you get stuck, remember the words of Morcheeba:

We always have a choice
Or at least I think we do
We can always use our voice
I thought this to be true
We can live in fear
Extend our selves to love
We can fall below
Or lift our selves above

Fear can stop you loving
Love can stop your fear
Fear can stop you loving
But it's not always that clear


Call me bohemian, foolish, or deluded, but I have always held this ideal, and gave this blessing to people.

Peace & Love

4 Comments:

  • Thanks Mel :)

    I too am a sucker for all things related to love, do we call ourselves 'hopeless romantics' or just 'hopeful'?

    If you love the concept of love, then I guess you probably desire that feeling greatly. I sincerely hope that you get to experience it one day, if indeed you have not done before.

    Having love for another is an incredible thing, it can be consuming. Being loved by another is a miraculous thing, if you truly have faith in their love for you it can alter your perception of everything.

    I would love to read your log, but your profile is not set for public viewing, so I have no way of finding a link to your blog. Please leave a link to it, and I'll follow it gladly. :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, November 22, 2004 10:52:00 pm  

  • I loved Moulin Rouge too.I loved how it was so unashamedly cheesy, I loved the colours and the flamboyance. I HATED Ewan McGregor, no shock there, I hate him in everything. =)My favour song was Roxanne.
    Have you seen the directors other two movies?

    By Blogger Spitting, at Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:10:00 am  

  • U gonna get hate mails for this..
    haha
    love..
    If i am ever deluded into thinking that it exists
    remind of the harsh reality=P
    I think they sell..
    but.. it is not there, never there.

    By Blogger Desolation, at Tuesday, November 23, 2004 3:21:00 pm  

  • Spitting: Yeah I love musicals in general, to me music is the language of emotion so is absolutely critical to anything that makes you want to feel something strongly.

    Roxanne is a good song in general, and fitted nicely in the film. But then it all did! No wonder they got a fair few awards, best costume Oscar that year, no surprise.

    Desolation: LOL, yeah not everyone will agree with me on the greatness of love. I think that the heretics need more faith, love isn't as hard to believe in as most religions, no dodgy stories. Just a lot of broken hearts out there which people think might disprove love. On the contrary, it proves it exists, just shows its duality as both strong as a vice and fragile as tissue paper.

    If you fall down that path, I'll advise you to go for it.

    Mel: Not to worry about how your blog looks. The advantage of a written medium is that people can concentrate on your words, their content not their style. If I read someone's blog regularly it's because their thoughts are pleasing to my mind, not my eye. :)

    You should get a profile sorted out though, it's a common way to scan for people with common interests to you. It's fantastic to know that there are people out there who aren't utterly opposite to you in every respect. Actually, that may just be me......

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, November 25, 2004 1:56:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home