.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Gentler Place

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Desert Island Discs...

Whilst doing a getting-to-know you style exchange with a new friend, I thought it might be interesting to do a variation on Desert Islands Discs, as peoples tastes in film/tv/music are always interesting. For those who don't know Desert Island Discs is a radio show here in the UK, where someone famous comes along and says what 10 albums they would take with them if they were stranded on a desert island. Simple really. Though this time we stated dvds, cds and books... 10 of each... What would you choose?

Fortunately for me, I maintain a list of films I'd like.... Mind you, that's not the same as dvds in general. Bah... Have to think hard....

1) My LotR DVDs, sad yes, I know, but they are long and highly entertaining.
LotR

2) The Dark Crystal, as it's one of my main influences in life, beautiful film.
The Dark Crystal

3) Neverending Story, ditto on the reason for the previous one.


4) The Muppet Christmas Carol, as Christmas wouldn't be anywhere near as good without it, couldn't have that.
Muppet Christmas Carol

5) Chronicles of Narnia Set, excellent stories, reminds me of my childhood so much, happy days.
Chronicles of Narnia

6) Family Guy DVDs, always amusing.
Family Guy

7) Red Dwarf DVDs, it's a british Sci-Fi sitcom, absolutely brilliant if you like that sort of thing.
Red Dwarf

8) Fraggle Rock Set, would be in need of the songs, and to see my true people.
Fraggle Rock

9) a natural history documentary series, something excellent to remind me of home.
Britain

10) one of my live music dvds, I love to watch people play, so would need something in addition to the cds.
Corrs Unplugged


Right CDs, this'll be fun, can never get my music sorted into favourites, too much of it.


1) Simon & Garfunkel, The Definitive Collection - wouldn't leave home without it.
Definitive

2) Kate Rusby, all of them, English Folk singer, enchanting.
Kate Rusby

3) Coope, Boyes & Simpson, What We Are Is What We Sing - another folk group, trio of unaccompanied singers, love this album.
What We Are Is What We Sing

4) Metallica, Symphony & Metallica, not a fan of the really hard stuff, but there joint venture with the San Francisco Symphony is amazing.
S&M

5) Michael Jackson, Bad - well maybe not in vogue these days, but Moonwalker rocked (might have that for my music film actually, LOL).
Bad

6) Beach Boys, Summer Dreams - do love the beach boys, reminds me of childhood holidays.
Summer Dreams

7) Some classical collection, I have one in mind here, must have The Heart Asks Pleasure First, by Michael Nyman on it.
The Piano

8) Jethro Tull, Songs From The Woods - excellent album, cheers me up.
Songs From The Woods

9) Queen, Greatest Hits - they rocked.
Greatest Hits

10) impossible to end the list but maybe Travis, The Man Who, or Ash, Free All Angels - both excellent albums. Or much more likely actually, a 60s compilation album, one that I made, definitely.
The Man Who


Books

1) LotR, essential.
LotR Hardbacks

2) The Hobbit, ditto. [Do I sound sad yet?]
The Hobbit

3) Chronicles of Narnia, some of the best fiction work ever.
Narnia

4) Terry Pratchett Discworld Series, not sure which one I'd pick if I was forced to just one, maybe Sourcery or Wyrd Sisters.
Sourcery

5) Animal Bedtime Stories by Lucy Kinkaid, main book that reminds me of my childhood, excellent woodland creature stories.

6) Charles Dickens novels, Oliver Twist if I had to pick.
Oliver Twist

7) Faeries by Brian Froud, amazing artwork book.
Faeries

8) Jules Verne, Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - essential reading, still think that book is legendary.
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth

9) Richard Adams, Watership Down - fantastic tale about bunnies.
Watership Down

10) A decent dictionary, just incase I get stuck on anything in the others. ;)
OED

[Apologies for the discount labels on the pictures, nicked them from amazon, and they alter their pictures to show their value. D'oh!]

[God this post took me hours...]

29 Comments:

  • It's like being able to see inside your soul.

    Spooky.

    :)

    I might have guessed that post took you some good time to complete. I'm tempted to do one now myself, but oooh, that's more work than I think I may be ready for.

    By Blogger KC, at Saturday, January 22, 2005 3:18:00 pm  

  • Wouldn't look into my soul if I were you, it's stale, dingy and dark. Possibly filled with weird fluffy things.

    Apart from the general amusement of doing the list, half of the reason is to get others to do it. So I look forward to yours immensely. :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Sunday, January 23, 2005 5:01:00 pm  

  • Weird fluffy things - maybe ... Stale, dingy, and dark -highly doubtful.

    I can't believe I'm going to humor you and do this ... But I'm collecting my list now.

    Check later for a sneak peek inside my brain. I promise to clear the cobwebs.

    By Blogger KC, at Monday, January 24, 2005 12:31:00 am  

  • Most souls have some dark recesses, mine is no exception. Though I'm always open to expeditions by brave people with good candles.

    The Amnesty International motto is 'Better to light a candle, than curse the darkness.' - An old chinese proverb, and like most, beautiful.

    It's always nice when people humour me, smiling and nodding is always appreciated. ;)

    Looking forward to your output, don't dust off the cobwebs though - they are often as important as what they cover.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, January 24, 2005 4:32:00 am  

  • hahha... interesting collection..
    the only one i recognise is probably the corrs..
    they are smashing=)

    By Blogger Desolation, at Monday, January 24, 2005 8:28:00 am  

  • Yep, the Corrs are often great. Though they don't seem to improve as the years go on, most of their best stuff was earlier - in my opinion. The Unplugged album is fantastic mind.

    If that's all you recognised, you've got a lot of watching/listening/reading to do! All highly recommended. Especially if you're weird like me. ;)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Wednesday, January 26, 2005 4:13:00 am  

  • Golly, The Neverending Story IS a classic. I cry ever time...from joy and sadness.
    My ex turned me onto Me First and the Gimme Gimmes who cover a lot of muppet songs. I have their CD in my care and know all the words my heart. Good times on the highway with muppet songs.
    Gotta agree with you on the Michael Jackson CD, a classic.
    I had totally forgotten about Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I read it when I was in junior high school and haven't heard it mentioned since. I loved that book. Ditto for Watership Down, although it's so sad in parts.
    Thanks for reminding me of such great treasures from my past.
    I wouldn't mind getting stuck on a desert isle with you and your selection. ;)

    By Blogger Texas Gurl, at Wednesday, January 26, 2005 5:40:00 am  

  • Well that's the best offer I've had this year. ;)

    The Neverending Story is absolutely divine, essential viewing in my opinion. Definitely for all children, it's main point is to stress the need for imagination in the world, and a grasp of fantasy in the young.

    Muppet cover CD!! You can bring your collection too...

    Watership Down is an enchanting book, the animated film version was great too. Essential for budding, or developed, naturalists to watch. Never fails to get me crying, Bright Eyes is one of my all time favourite songs.

    When I was younger, about 8-9, I had some bunnies, and they got out and ran away*. I was heart broken, and just kept playing Bright Eyes and crying all the time, standing out at the bottom of the garden under the big tree hoping they would come back. I'll never forget that.

    *Much later, last year in fact, I found out that my parents found the rabbits, one had frozen to death, the other had been got at by a fox. Still cut me up after all those years.

    Journey to the Centre of the earth is such a great story for a child to read, covers loads of geography, geology and paleontology, and fantasy. We had an audio book of it here, a favourite of my brother and I. We often used to listen to it sat in bed together at night. I can remember it practically word for word.

    Glad you liked my selection, hope to see yours at some point. ;)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:02:00 am  

  • haha... yah i don't read, listen to Cd or watch movies as much as I would like to..
    Where did I spend all my time? Probably, daydreaming =P

    If i ever come across those stuff, i will try to read, listen or watch them=)

    yup, I think Corrs is trying to move to a new direction. It really depends whether you like their new direction or not. Anyway, Chinese pop king Jay Chou is so much more fun!!

    By Blogger Desolation, at Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:16:00 am  

  • Well Jay Chou is unknown to me, so I guess I have some listening to do too. ;)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Friday, January 28, 2005 2:26:00 am  

  • Jesus christ.

    By Blogger Andrew, at Friday, January 28, 2005 7:29:00 pm  

  • Everyone should do a list, it's reasonably fun and gives people a bit of a peek at you. :)

    Favourite Travis songs are probably: Side, Last Laugh of Laughter, Slide Show...

    Ash: Nicole, There's A Star, Shark.. maybe

    :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Sunday, January 30, 2005 12:35:00 am  

  • Fiver can be very scary at times, the way he sees the future is done really well in that story. Not at all within his control, dark and unwanted visions, he is haunted by them. General Woundwort was scarier though!

    Family Guy is an essential item to have anywhere, I've had each of those series since the first day they were released. They are usually the first thing to go on if a crowd of us is bored, they don't tire.

    As I'm a Londoner, from a long line of Londoner's, Charles Dickens stuff feels like home stories. Infact, most of the locations in Oliver Twist were based on actual places. The workhouse was demolished, but it stood on the land where the hospital I was born in is now. The pub where he met the Artful Dodger is at the top of my road, it's called The Old Red Lion, though they may be considering demolishing it soon. :(

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, January 31, 2005 3:43:00 am  

  • u have an e-mail add big enuff to contain a mp3 file of his song?
    i can send u a clip..=P

    By Blogger Desolation, at Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:39:00 am  

  • wow u have a degree in computing??!??
    I always thought that if i have a degree in computing, I will never run into computer problems...
    yah it's said especially i have to do an article for the school magazine and I lost all my data on it. I will have to e-mail the lady at Haagen Daz. But, that is a chore too... Especially when I will be scolded by her for the second time...

    thanks for your comments... makes me feel better

    By Blogger Desolation, at Thursday, February 03, 2005 7:21:00 am  

  • Yep, unfortunately knowing about computers can never stop them breaking, busting and generally infuriating you to the point of smashing them to pieces...

    I can't stand losing my files, one of the worst feelings... :S

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, February 03, 2005 7:49:00 pm  

  • Ummm ... Not to get off the topic - as we've only been on this one for weeks now - but do you think you can update here soon?

    Consider me your pesky shoulder angel on blog patrol.

    By Blogger KC, at Saturday, February 05, 2005 4:43:00 am  

  • Stacey,
    I've been on him about updating more frequently, as well. Maybe if TWO ladies start nagging him, he'll listen. ;)

    By Blogger Texas Gurl, at Monday, February 07, 2005 2:40:00 am  

  • Oh come on, both you two have been married.

    Men rarely listen to one lady nagging, doubling the effect isn't liable to increase the chances of success. ;)

    I'll update in a little while, hopefully - I've not been online a lot lately, so am behind.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, February 07, 2005 3:58:00 am  

  • Or we could just keep making comments and ignore him completely until he caves ...

    I'm sorry Orb my dear. Did you say something?

    (Snicker)

    Now I'm going to have to rethink my position on coming up with the info on the Muppets in Oz.

    Nagging ... Humph.

    By Blogger KC, at Monday, February 07, 2005 8:43:00 am  

  • Well it's all novel to me, just flattered you care. :)

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, February 07, 2005 10:06:00 pm  

  • There's nothing like sharing the warm and fuzzy feeling with people you like.

    By Blogger KC, at Tuesday, February 08, 2005 12:45:00 am  

  • :)

    With friends like you, who needs reality. An online existance seems appealing.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Tuesday, February 08, 2005 1:11:00 am  

  • Ok, Orbling, no need to throw the 'been married before' thing up in our faces. ;) We just want to know how you've been doing is all. As you said in one of my comments once:

    "Now I love this song (particularly the symphony version), the following lines remind me of the way blog readers seem to work....

    "Just like a curse, just like a stray
    You feed it once and now it stays...now it stays"

    Perhaps without the negative overtones. ;)"

    Yes, you've fed me and now I'm staying. Hehe.

    By Blogger Texas Gurl, at Wednesday, February 09, 2005 11:18:00 pm  

  • Oooh, ancient back quoting, lyrics too, very good. :)

    There'll always be something yummy for you, don't worry.

    Just my feeding pattern appears to be huge and infrequent. It'll get sorted.

    By Blogger Orbling, at Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:29:00 am  

  • Well, since you're not posting I've been forced to pick through the rest of your blog. So I'll comment on your Amazon wishlist.
    Things that surprised me:
    The Matrix? Wouldn't have thought of you as a Matrix person.
    Friends? Reminds me that you're human and not an angel. ;)

    I loved the Dungeons and Dragons cartoons when I was growing up. Wouldn't mind having a marathon weekend some time.
    You know I loved the Day After Tomorrow...Jake's in it of course. Yummy.
    The Avril CD is great. Email me your address (or a safe place to send it, just in case I'm a psycho) and I'll send you a copy of it, and copies the Outkast CD, and Moulan Rouge, Evanescense, Microsoft Money 2004, and Age of Mythology.

    By Blogger Texas Gurl, at Friday, February 11, 2005 9:33:00 am  

  • If I read this post one more time, my eyes are going to fall out of my head.

    Now you wouldn't want that to happen would you?

    By Blogger KC, at Sunday, February 13, 2005 11:57:00 pm  

  • Definitely wouldn't want that to happen keep your eyes firmly in your head...


    So, you mean if I leave this blog unattended for awhile people will browse my wishlist and potentially send me stuff? You normally try and encourage me to post! ;)

    Matrix, yes, soapbox philosophy and sci-fi - good mix; could've done without the martial arts action though...

    American comedies vary a lot, most are quite anaemic compared to the British stuff. Friends is, but is raw funny enough to be good. Only just human you see...

    Dungeons & Dragons was a great cartoon, definitely would be up for that marathon. Just managed to get my hands on David The Gnome though, so that'll have to come first. [Bet no one remembers that. :(]

    Day After Tomorrow, excellent. I love disaster films. As I care about the earth a lot more than I do about human issues (see the "only just" coming in again), they always move me. Think Andy would come up with other reasons to be moved by that film. LOL

    You're a very kind lady, and most probably not a psycho. ;)

    Do I have any psycho's reading me? All psycho's say I...

    By Blogger Orbling, at Monday, February 14, 2005 1:47:00 am  

  • Ah, you're not a psycho. ;)

    This post doesn't have that many comments, I've had up to 60 - I've seen a few hundred on some popular logs. LOL

    By Blogger Orbling, at Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home